Garage Door Maintenance
Garage Door Maintenance in the Northwest Indiana Area
Your garage door is one of the hardest-working components of your home, but it also plays an important role in your home’s security and curb appeal. To keep it operating smoothly and extend its lifespan, regular maintenance is essential!
From springs, to cables, to hinges, rollers, panels, and more, your garage door parts all need some TLC to keep working their best. Here’s what you can do to keep your door in great shape.
Garage Door Maintenance You Can Do At Home
There are a few easy steps you can take to safely maintain your garage door. These include:
- Inspecting your garage door for any visual signs of wear and tear, i.e. rust, corrosion, or misaligned parts
- Tightening loose hardware like bolts and screws
- Regularly testing safety features like the garage door sensors
- Making sure the tracks are clear of obstructions and cleaning any debris
- Keeping the garage door panels clean
- Replacing batteries when needed (like those for your garage door opener remote) and checking the outlets
Garage Door Maintenance by Professionals
Garage doors are large, heavy objects that can be dangerous if handled incorrectly. These maintenance tasks should only be performed by a professional:
- Attempting to repair a broken cable
- Adjusting the spring tension or replacing the springs
- Realigning or replacing a bent or misshapen garage door track
- Repairing bent or broken panels (we can help you figure out if panel replacement is a better option for you)
- Calibrating the safety sensor – while it’s okay to test at home, a pro should be the one to calibrate it
Garage door lubrication is another important part of garage door maintenance, but it’s more complex than applying any lubricant and calling it a day. If you feel comfortable applying it yourself, it’s safe to do at home – however, the easiest way to keep your door maintained is by getting regular Tune-Ups. Our professional technicians will perform a 25-point safety inspection, lubricate all moving parts, and perform a balance test.
Garage door maintenance is important, but your safety matters more than anything. Call Precision to handle complex maintenance tasks.
How Long Do Parts Last with Proper Garage Door Maintenance?
While all components will need to be replaced eventually, regularly maintaining your door is one of the best ways to extend its lifespan.
Here’s how long average parts are expected to last when properly maintained:
- Garage door springs typically last anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 cycles
- Garage door rollers can be expected to work for around 7,000-10,000 cycles for steel rollers, or 10,000-15,000 cycles for the nylon rollers used by Precision
- Garage door cables usually last around 7,000-10,000 cycles
- Garage door hinges can work for 10,000 to 15,000 cycles
- Garage door weatherstripping usually lasts for around five to eight years, but that varies a lot depending on your environment
- Garage door panels are similar to weatherstripping in that your environment plays a large role in how long they last, but it’s not uncommon for them to last at least 15 years (and up to 30+)
If your door is acting funny despite regular maintenance, you may need a component repaired or replaced. Call Precision for a full inspection and recommendations based on your home, budget, and lifestyle.
Precision has been providing trusted garage door services in the Northwest Indiana area for over 20 years.
We take pride in using only the most high-quality garage door parts and backing up our work with an industry-leading warranty.
See Our 5 Star Reviews!
“We called for an appointment and got a technician to come the same day. Bradley was knowledgeable, patient, and super helpful. He explained every step of what he was doing, and gave us suggestions on how to fix the problem. […] We were happy to get our issue resolved so quickly.” – Lizolette G.
“I called Precision Door about my garage door problem and received prompt service (both times). I am very pleased with the service I received and the technician, Eric, was very knowledgeable about his job and was willing to help me with all of my questions and concerns. I would highly recommend this company.” – Loria H.
“Buck was very detailed in explaining what options we had to repair our garage door. Given the information we were able to determine what action we wanted to take. He was fast and very careful in his rebuild of the door. Excellent workmanship and very courteous.” – Ken P.
“They came out same day and explained the options/costs up front. The tech was very polite and friendly and worked well with the Manager. Fixed quickly and helped test and tweak the opener before wrapping up. Would definitely recommend!” – Cory W.