Your garage door helps set the tone for the rest of your home’s exterior, and the garage door style that fits the best will depend on the architectural style. A glass garage door, for example, might look amazing on a modern home but out-of-place on a charming cottage. However, carriage house garage doors work well with a variety of home styles both modern and rustic.
Classic vs. Modern Carriage House Doors
The classic carriage house design is inspired by the traditional swing-out doors found in old-world carriage houses. These doors typically feature symmetrical sections with crossbars and decorative handles, hinges, and window inserts. They give your home a charming, rustic elegance.
If you’re looking for a contemporary twist on the traditional carriage house style, modern carriage house garage doors offer a more sleek and streamlined look. These doors often feature clean lines, minimalist hardware, and bright window inserts for a more contemporary appearance.
Popular Door Materials
Love the look of classic wood? Want something that’s easier to maintain? Carriage house garage doors come in a variety of different materials that work well with different homes and environments. Popular materials include:
- Wood – Wood doors provide a warm, natural aesthetic and can be customized with different stains or paints. They offer excellent insulation and can be crafted with intricate details to create a truly personalized look. On the other hand, they can be a bit more difficult or expensive to maintain, and the weight of real wood may require openers with higher horsepower.
- Wood Composite – Made from a mixture of wood fibers and synthetic resins, these doors provide the aesthetic appeal of natural wood without the high maintenance requirements and susceptibility to warping or rotting. Like wood garage doors, they can be customized with various finishes, stains, and paint colors to match your home’s style.
- Steel – Steel doors are known for their durability, low maintenance, and resistance to harsh weather conditions. They can be embossed or stamped to mimic the look of wood, offering a cost-effective alternative without compromising on style.
- Aluminum – Aluminum carriage house doors are lightweight, corrosion-resistant, and a great choice for modern designs. They can be powder-coated with a wide range of colors for endless design possibilities.
Can You Add Window Inserts to Carriage House Doors?
Absolutely! Window inserts can add an extra touch of elegance and natural light to carriage house garage doors.
You can choose from various styles, including arched, square, or elongated windows, and consider frosted or decorative glass for added privacy and visual appeal.
Decorative Hardware Options
Decorative hardware tends to work very well with carriage house garage doors. Hardware is commonly used to add a vintage or rustic look, lending character and personality to garage doors.
- Garage door handles are decorative elements that are typically attached to each side of the door. They provide a convenient grip for manually opening and closing the door, and they also add visual interest.
- Garage door hinges are components that allow the garage door to pivot as it opens and closes. Decorative hinges can be functional and/or aesthetic, and give garage doors a vintage look. They’re typically placed on the sides and top of each door section.
- Studs or clavos are small, decorative pieces that are usually placed around handles, hinges, or straps. They can be used sparingly or placed in a pattern for a more intricate design.
- Garage door knockers are ornamental pieces that resemble door knockers found on traditional entry doors. They are often placed at the center or sides of the garage door and provide a decorative accent.
Custom Carriage House Doors
Have something unique in mind? We can help! At Precision, we offer custom garage door options that fit every home. From panel designs to insulation, materials, and more, we can help you choose the perfect door for your home. We can even match your garage door color to your shutters, front door, or any exterior paint color you’d like.
Let’s Get Started
We’ll help you choose the best carriage house garage door for your home. Call us today to schedule a
free new door estimate – we’re here 24/7!