Did you know the average garage door opens and closes 1,500 times a year? It’s also the biggest door in your home, but there will come a time when your garage door will simply stop working. At that point, you will be faced with the decision to repair or replace. An damaged garage door can negatively affect the curb appeal of a house, and repairing or replacing a garage door is one of the most important projects in terms of return on investment.
Garage Door Repair
If the garage door issues are minor, it’s best to get it repaired rather than investing in a replacement. It’s best to get it done right away because minor issues can still put a lot of stress on the doorframe and mechanical systems. This stress usually can result in more expensive problems in the long run.
Below are a few scenarios in which a repair is needed.
- Door stopped working. Check the batteries first. If it’s not a bad battery, there may be an issue with the motor, belt or chain or a broken spring. A professionally-trained technician can quickly diagnose and fix the issue.
- Crooked door. If the garage door is crooked, there’s a problem with the torsion springs. The springs can easily be replaced, rather than purchasing a brand-new door.
- Door feels heavy. If you open and close your garage door manually and the door begins to feel much heavier, this added weight indicates a problem with the springs. Spring replacement is easy, but don’t wait because the added weight puts stress on the door’s motor.
- Sensors. If your garage door fails to open when it senses an obstruction, a repair is needed. The government-mandated sensors on all garage doors are important because it prevents injuries, especially to children and pets.
Garage Door Replacement
Garage door replacement may sound expensive, but if you’re planning to sell your home soon, garage door replacements can pay off in the long run. Below are a few scenarios in which a replacement is needed:
- Multiple cracked or damaged panels. Multiple cracked or damaged panels are easier to deal with through a replacement than by trying to fix the damage. It’s also important to get your door replaced to protect it from inclement weather, bugs and stray animals.
- Noisy or vibrates. If your garage door makes a squealing noise or if it vibrates, it’s time for a new door. Your door may have broken hinges, broken springs, worn-out bearings or it may have reached the end of its lifespan.
- Upgrading the appearance. If you’re remodeling your home and looking to upgrade your garage door to increase curb appeal, shopping for a cost-effective and high-quality new garage door replacement is a great reason
If you’ve opted to replace your garage door, it’s important to maintain regular maintenance on it, including:
- Pulleys and cables. Make sure to keep an eye on the pulleys and cables as it can become frayed over time.
- Check the balance. If your garage door begins to feel much heavier, this added weight indicates a problem with the springs. Contact a professionally-trained technician to assess the problem. Your door may need new springs.
- Clean tracks and rollers: Make sure you brush the tracks regularly to remove dust and debris. Lubricate the rollers to keep them running smoothly too.
- Tighten loose hardware: Check the bolts on the garage door rollers to ensure they’re tight, as they tend to become loose over time.
Why Choose Us?
Serving the Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana area since 2003, Precision Garage Door Service is a full-service garage door company specializing in garage door repair, replacement garage doors and repair of garage door openers.
We provide the types of services one would expect from a locally-owned company, while ensuring the reliability and security of a national franchise company. Our slogan is “We Fix Garage Doors Right”™ and this singular focus has led us to pioneer the industry standard warranty for garage door repair. The training program we provide for our expert technicians is second to none in the garage door industry.
- Your phone call is answered 24/7 by a LIVE operator
- 25-point safety inspection and a full diagnostic test is completed before any work begins
- We service all major brands
- Appointments are available when it is convenient for you, including evenings and weekends
- Same-day service
- Your garage door is fixed right! We use the highest quality parts and we back up our work with the industry’s best warranty